Saturday, December 17, 2011

Dear SAHMs, send picture messages to dads!


As a father who goes to work everyday, it sucks being away from my boy.  I'd rather be a stay at home mum, looking after kid and making millions of dollars from home.

But, alas, it's not to be.  It's not like I've got a terrible job.  It's a good job, I enjoy it.  I'm just like every other person though who'd love to LIVE THE DREAM! It's just... missing the little things, like a giggle from my little one or a cuddle when his teeth hurt.  That's what I miss and I am sure other dads with babies miss it too as they go to work.

So how do I get by?

Having photos on my desk is great. Thanks go to the wife when she gets that done for me.  I've currently got a wee photo of my boy sitting on Santa's knee (who he absolutely loved by the way).  But sometimes it's good to go that extra mile than the photo on the desk.

Everyone has got camera phones.  My wife and I sure as hell do!  They're the latest and greatest. We are set up to send and recieve pictures via MMS, and pretty much every day I will get a photo of what my little one is doing.

A snapshot playing on the ground with a massive grin gives me the same grin. Being away earning the dollars makes it a little bit easier.

So if you're a stay at home mum or dad, do the same for your husband or wife.  If it doesn't put a dent in your monthly phone bill, I highly recommend it.  It helps makes the day faster!!

Have you got any other tips for those away from their kids daily or for longer time periods?

- tork