Saturday, December 18, 2010

Pregnancy - Should we tell everyone what the gender of our baby is?


Hiya,


So, as you may or may not know, my wife and I are expecting our first child soon. 

We've found out what the gender is, but we cannot decide whether we should be telling everyone or not!

I like the idea of suspense and surprise!  Obviously not for ourselves, because we just had to know the gender.  I just don't think we can last the full distance without telling anybody!!  It's already driving me crazy!!  ARGH!!


Anyway, here is where I can see the downsides of telling people.


  1. People would help with baby names when we don't want the influence
  2. People could tell other friends and family that don't yet want to know it's gender 
  3. It will ruin my fun of keeping the suspense when other people are tearing their hair out to know the sex of the baby!

Hmm.. Do I really want to kill the imagination of everyone's guessing and suspense by announcing the gender?  I can see the positives though, like:

  1. All the clothes and presents people buy us would be for the correct gender
  2. There would be no more careful tip-toeing during conversations of the baby
  3. Everyone would stop hassling us so much (hahaha!)

Well, I would really appreciate everyone's feedback that have been in similar situations.  What did you do?  How did it go?  Or, what do you think we should do even if you haven't been in our situation?


Should we spill or should we stay mum (and dad hehehehe)


- tork