Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Top 5 Sax Solos in Songs



What are the greatest and best Saxophone solos in a song of all time? Well I am glad you asked because I have compiled a list of the greatest! Well, perhaps not to you, but this is my Top 5 Saxophone solo songs. I hope that these aren't obscure but well known! Thank you to the 1980's for your input in this list.


Man, nothing beats a Saxophone solo in a song. They just don't do it anymore and it's just not right. The feeling it gives you, it's just fantastic.  This list has been compiled to hopefully give attention to a dying style. Any future muse-o's out there, scrap that autotune crap, AND BRING BACK THE SAX!!

Here's my list.


5. Men at Work - Who Can It Be Now
Who can it be now? I don't know, answer the door.. Oh look, it's a Sax solo!  I'd like to think that this is how I'd play the Sax, kind of average and at least giving it a good Aussie go, like these lads.




4. Tina Turner - Simply The Best
3:03 mins in, doesn't last long, but one of the most memorable going around. Too bad its Tina Turner though!






3. Aretha Franklin - Respect
1:06 in.. Demand respect! (for a good bit of sax solo).  Excerpt is from the movie Blues Brothers 2000. I think this is because I'm a massive Blues Brothers fan that I like this, but this song is just too much fun.  Too bad I couldn't find a better vid.




2. Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street
0:20 secs in, there's the sultry sax man, kicking it in front of a smoky background.  I have to tell the truth though, I only recognise the Sax in this song.  I can never remember the words or anything like that.  Whenever I hear that Saxophone though, bam.. Awesomeness.



..and the number 1 Sax solo in a song of all time..











1. INXS - Never Tear Us Apart
I'm not telling you how long in it is.  You'll know when the sax solo occurs.  It's when your hair stands up on end and the shivers run down you spine.  That's when it occurs!

Best Sax Solo ever, one of the greatest songs of all time.








There you go, just a few of the greatest Sax solos of all time.  I'm certain that this is a list I will be coming back to and adjusting.  Love to hear what you think of them! So, drop us a line :-)

- tork