Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Crows need a new captain?


Oh my lord.

Watching the Adelaide Crows play was like watching my new born baby boy do a poo.  It's disgusting but you have to sit there and make sure things don't get too much out of control.

For my overseas readers, visit AFL.com.au to learn up on our great game of Aussie Rules Football.

Anyway, after the Crows losing to Melbourne Demons by almost 100 points, I could not hold back to vent my opinion.  I know the team is young, I know we've lost our majority of experience with retirements from last year.  I know we won't be winning a premiership any time soon.  Still.. *sigh*

I'm not one to slam my team after a terrible loss.  I still support them by watching until the very end (unless if it's against the Power, of course) but all responsibility lies on the Captain to now come out and do something, say something constructive about how to go forward.

Nathan Van Berlo is the captain and hopefully will help turn things around.  But VB, as I've thought from the very start, is the worst choice of captain I've ever seen.  From this fan's point of view, he is Captain for his own benefits, not for the team's benefit. Patrick Dangerfield will be captain in the few years.  Why? He's the only player out there showing true crows spirit.  Guts and determination.

VB might not have the greatest foot skills, actually, I wouldn't put him in the top ten best players for the crows, so he needs to come through and show the same effort as Dangerfield.  Put his body on the line.

Kevin Sheedy recently came out and said Nathan Van Berlo is the worst captain in the AFL in 2011 (source via adelaidenow) and I agree.  Until he shows the crows fighting spirit that ex-captains like Mark Rucciuto or Mark Bickley, he needs to go.

But, I don't think he should have ever been there in the first place.

What do you think? Who do you think is the worst captain in the competition?

- tork